Monday, July 11, 2011

Chocolatine or Pain au chocolate

Chocolatine when in the south. If you are unsure what this means, it refers to a croissant with chocolate filling. Another random fact I've learned: no matter what language someone speaks, if they have no teeth it is very hard to understand them. Just nod in agreement, or if you are really unsure randomly change your facial expressions so they think you are in comprehension. And then when you are really confused, their will be this awkward pause when everyone realizes you have no clue what the other person just said, and then you just laugh and move on. C'est la vie, n'est pas?

I have slacked quite a bit; almost as if I were on vacation or something...
This past weekend was our first excursion with the USAC program to the delightful village of Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port (almost looks like my name all spelled out,ha!) along with Saint-Jean-de-Luz : the southern Basque Country/Coastline! It is mainly identified with architecture consisting of white buildings with dark read shutters, trim, or other parts. Some typical cuisines known are ham, the poulet basquaise you may have seen in my previous entries, and also chocolate with chillies (very similar to Mexican chocolate).
It is a region known to have one of the oldest written languages and the Basque people once rebelled when France insisted they adopt France and not the Basque language. Over time they settled for signs both in French and Basque. This Basque country extends from the southern most part of France into the north western part of Spain.
Thankfully it was partly cloudy for most of our excursion and unfortunately had been rainy most of the week.
We dined at a wonderful restaurant just next to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. In this little town there is actually an arched doorway, or what used to be a door. After you go through this you are in this picturesque cobble stone town, shutters and the whole shebang. And don't forget the 45 degree upward climb to the citadel. (guess I have to work those French pastries off somehow) I'll put some pictures of course ( of the food if you've lost my train of thought).
The bus ride was through the most gorgeous rolling hills and mountains, with vineyards plastered to the sides of them, and splashes of a variety of greens. We reached Saint-Jean-de-Luz, missed La Fete du Thon (Tuna festival started in the evening) and found our way through the small city to a wall. Climbed the stairs and voila! a gorgeous beach, chiseled Frenchmen playing volleyball ( I swear I wasn't looking Brian ;o) ) oh yeah, and really nice sand and water. So enough of my jumbled mess of a blog here are some pictures.
I keep thinking about the up coming GRE's and I realize after being in France for three months I'm going to have to learn English again. My brain is Franglish soup.
 Saint-Jean-Pied...
 The entrance




 Restaurant

 Best beet mixture I've ever had
 Best and only au gratin potatoes I've ever eaten. Less cheese more of a stack of creamed but firm potatoes
 Apple tart. Before dessert we got a slice of cheese, bread, and jam. Very specific to the South
 Fresh flowers..
 um the beach of course
 a bit over cast but it cleared out a bit

No comments:

Post a Comment