Monday, June 6, 2011

Time machine toilettes...


So I will break up the last few days, since I haven't really updated since the 2nd.
Friday 3 Juin:
I cooked dinner for myself and Sylvie. I made stuffed tomatoes with cheese, couscous, spinach, and basil. They turned out really well and Sylvie really enjoyed them as well.
Saturday 4 juin:
Rehema, my friend from the USAC program, and I left at 9:30 for Bordeaux. We got there around lunch time and we went to check in, drop off our bag, and go for lunch. Stores typically clothes from 12-2, for the purpose of lunch. We then walked through two museums and one of the large cathedrals. As students we got in free to each museum.
 My friend Rehema. She is from Kenya but has been studying in the US for her college degree.
 Statues...whats new.
 Cathedral in Bordeaux

Inside. It was HUGE. It's wild to sit there and think people built this. It's amazing what a bunch of people put together can make. If only we still collected in a similar way to make beautiful things. Although most churches and such were built by some sort of slaves.
 Our cute little room. Which included a wonderful breakfast. We ended up having two breakfast/lunches Sunday...wow.
 Typically dinners are set meals, or formules. This one was about 13 euro and you picked an appetizer, an entry, and a dessert. I think I ate the other two and forgot to take pictures..sorry. But it was awesome!


 There is a huge walking area by the river and part of it puts out water/steam randomly. It was evening so not as great feeling as in the sun.
 I love the reflection after the steam settled.
 Creepy looking statue/water fountain. The whole action of what most statues are doing is quite grotesque.
 Macaroons! Please! Yumm in a whole other way.
 My favorite chocolate store so far. These little goodies that look like cakes are similar to the texture of Baklava, yummy goodness. Then in the back ground is like a bulk section of chocolates. It's all by gram, so you can get a few pieces instead of a box or what not. I loved it.
They also made real life objects, all from chocolate. Talk about an art I wouldn't mind doing, although I would possibly lose my love of chocolate.
 If heaven had a restaurant it would be like this. A jar of homemade nutella, a white choclate-like nutella thing, two confiture (jams) peanutbutter, and lots of bread!

 My favorite restaurant of all time. I wonder what their lunch and dinner is like. I guess I need to go back.
 Haagen Daz cafe! Oui, une crepe avec duex (2) boules de framboisse (raspberry) et mangue (mango). Thank god I've been walking all over France.
What the heck is this you might ask? It was the highlight of my weekend. It's actually located in Pau right by the bus station. It's a bathroom. Rehema and I barely missed the earlier but by 10min and had to go to the bathroom. Almost everything aside from restaurants are closed on Sunday. We had a 30min wait for the next train, and like a beam from heaven I saw a sign across the street "toilettes". Apparently this time machine looking toilette is "self cleaning" (what the heck does that mean:). Well Rehema went first, after paying 0,30 euro. the door opens, and closes behind her, she comes out as the door shuts automatically behind her and tells me it didn't flush. So I wait, and all of a sudden there is a woosh of water. The entire bathroom gets sprayed down! Still not very clean, but when it finally finished I got to go in and everything was soaked. Quite entertaining. I'm not so sure about this kind of public facility. Voila! I'm still alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment