Thursday, June 2, 2011

"Americans go crazy with their guns."

So the title of this entry, (I know I have been a slacker and have not updated recently) came from my civilization class yesterday. Apparently gun control is very different here. It is not common to own a gun or weapon unless you are using it for hunting, and then you must still have a license to have any kind of gun. The professor said that the French typically believe that American's all have guns and they consistently go around shooting other people. Don't get me wrong here, but, sadly in some areas this  may in fact be true, but on an over all scale, such a thought is incorrect. They base this idea on the Columbine movie, and just movies that they see in general. Many stereotypes are derived from the media, even in our own country. If people from the northern states meet a person from Texas, a typical question is: "do you ride a horse to school?" People truly will ask others this as well. Texas also has a reputation for guns as well. So that is a tiny explanation of the title.
Last night I ate dinner at a very good creperie restaurant. Most everyone went out after that but I decided I would call it a night. There are quite a few annoyingly American students on this trip, so I'd rather not risk being fully embarrassed by their behavior. In fact I heard today that many lived up to their expectations. Any how the food was great last night, along with our server. Our server spoke English pretty well. I was hoping he would go back into French since that is why I'm over here. It seems that those who do not know English well seem much more shy, but if they know a fair amount of English they almost seem to want to practice it with you.
Today is a religious holiday  of some sort so we did not have classes. Unfortunately, because of that they decided to just double our class tomorrow. That's 5-6hrs of French. That might end up being the equivalent to drinking a bottle of wine by myself ( I haven't done so and don't plan to, but you get the concept = 6hrs of french= mushy, and unresponsive brain) I'm pretty sure I will come home and pass out from that!
Saturday I get to go to Bordeaux with one of the more saner (is that a word) Americans. Now that I've been immersed in another language for two weeks, I keep questioning if my English makes sense any more. I guess it may help that there were many times when my English didn't make since in the first place. So, off to Bordeaux Saturday to Sunday. Then next weekend is a three day weekend (another holiday) and hopefully I will get to do a bit more traveling...we will see. It's all about budgeting. See I'm getting more than a language out of this! Bonsoir, Bonjour, ou Bonne nuit...whatever is there.

2 comments:

  1. to answer your question, I think "saner" is not a word. Degrees of the word sane are defined by its superlative. So it would be sane, more sane, and most sane. Just an FYI. That toilette story was crazy. I don't know how spraying everything with water amounts to sanitation. What happens to the papier de toilette?

    Aunt D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Having two languages compete in my head is really messing up my grammar and spelling with English. (more so than it was already haha) The toilette paper is in a dispenser that didn't get wet. It was a super strange thing, that's for sure! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete