Sunday, May 22, 2011

Cheek to Cheek (joue à joue)

Talk about breaking an American barrier, I've had more cheek action than I've had in my entire life! As Americans we approach a new person with our head tilted away and our hands outstretched, here it's in reverse. Face first, hand later..but not really. Even the two grandchildren of Mdm. Alcoz "cheeked" me.
Before coming to France I was aware of their custom of greeting by placing opposite cheeks next to each other and kissing to the air, but when you actually do it, it sent a little electrical shock to my, apparently American, heart. I'm sure by the end of my stay I'll come back and try the same on another American, we'll see how that goes, right?
So today was a quick tour of the center of town and university. Both are within walking distance, although the center of town my be somewhat further away; so I would take the bus. We didn't walk to either but the object was to give me an idea of my surroundings. After meeting a few southern French people, I'm a bit weary to meet any Northerners since the reputation of the Parisians are not as friendly. I also got to meet Mdm. Alcoz's daughter and two children. If you've ever been shown a house for sale, that was the feeling I had when the children decided to show me their tree house, guest house in the backyard, and rooms. Very pleasant and thorough. Very sweet and cute and of course it made me feel pretty ridiculous that I had no clue what the 4yr old or so was saying! I enjoyed it none the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment