Sunday, May 22, 2011

Je suis ici! ( I am here)

So, after a very long...trip I have made it to Pau, France. The woman hosting my stay in Pau is beyond friendly. I have a nice little room with a large window, a desk, and place to put my clothes. The end of the trip, from the airport to the train station, and then the train to Pau was a little stressful, but all and all everything went as planned. A few things I learned:
  • Make sure you REALLY know what your luggage looks like at baggage claim, otherwise you will be sitting there as your blood pressure rises, thinking they've lost your luggage. But then you will see that one of the last two bags is really yours, but what you thought to be an all black bag was really a dark grey bag, even though it has the big red tag on it, that you swore you would recognize.
  • If you meet someone nice on the train.( I  met a nice man from Romania, working on his residency in France to become a doctor.) When you want to give him a pen to wright down his contact information, don't by chance hand him the ballpoint ink pen that happened to explode under the pressure of the air plane. Otherwise you and the guy will both have black ink all over your hands, and the pen wont even work anyhow. Luckily someone was prepared (not me) he had plenty of kleenex.
I apparently am staying within walking distance of campus. Today, if it doesn't rain, Madame Alcoz will show me how to get there. Orientation is tomorrow, Monday, and then I will start learning more about the program and Pau. Luckily I understand a fair amount, but am still working on the reply. It will all come in good time. I will post pictures later. The train ride was beautiful even though it got dark by the time I got to Pau. I got to watch the sun set just to the west of the Pyrenees mountains ( I saw too Pyrenees dogs on the way), but unfortunately didn't get to take pictures. It would have been a little tricky on the train anyhow.
I hope Texas finally got some rain. It is about 15C or about 59 degrees F. Not too bad.



No comments:

Post a Comment