Saturday, May 28, 2011

Surf Capital of France (Biarritz) ; Bayonne


 Today was a gorgeous day. We first went to Bayonne, which is known for their chocolate, specifically their Spanish recipe. It contains pepper and has a little bite to it. It is also bought in sheets, along with other flavors. It reminds me of our peanut brittle. I was going to buy some now but realized that if I did so it wouldn't make it home. I will be here for the next two months so I will have to get some at a later date to increase the likelihood it will make it back. I keep wondering why every time I leave from the Super Marche I am generally walking out with a french bread baguette, cheese, or chocolate. It is common place to see 2ft long baguettes. They literally eat bread with every meal. So I decided, when in France do like the French, right?

 This church in Bayonne had a gorgeous courtyard that was hidden.
 Of course. When in Europe eat chocolate...I haven't gotten the "drink wine part"...yet. I don't believe I'll be coming back being a wine drinker, but we will see.
 We all had lunch as a group at Victor Hugo's, in Bayonne. It was a three course meal, I forgot to take pictures of the salad and Basque Cake... The picture above is mine, since I requested vegetarian. I had prepared the same specialty dish in my cooking class and could do without the piece of chicken. It looked tasty none the less.

 Then we moved on to Biarritz. The surf capital of France; they have a surf museum. I guess California needs to catch up. It is a very touristy place to go. As you can see it is gorgeous. It was a bit chilly for a bathing suit in my opinion but many still sun bathed. I had to document that I was really there,  since I'm usually the one behind the camera.
 Biarritz was once a sea port, and didn't become urbanized until Napoleon III's wife took interest in it. One major attraction, if you are swimming in money, so to speak, is the hotel palais. It was a summer castle/palais built for his wife, in the shape of the first letter in her name "E" ( from an aerial view) The rates per night begin at $3,000!!!...Euro....
 Some gypsy like people created this work of art.
 This italian icecream is no longer in existence... I ate it and enjoyed it. C'etait fraise et vanille.



 The mountains in the distance is Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment